Before: How I used to live?
- I used to think that work is necessary in life. That it’s something that mainly disturbs your personal life and includes few positive aspects.
- I used to think that if I say “No” to work, people will think that I´m difficult or lazy, and they don´t like me anymore. Or worse, I loose my job and I don´t get any job offers anymore.
- I used to think that my chances to affect my work are very limited.
Changes: What changes I´ve made to my life since I started to pay more attention to my wellbeing and simplify my life?
- I´ve learned to invest in good working conditions. When I need a peaceful environment to work, I hire a nanny and work alone at the library. Or I arrange myself an opportunity to concentrate on my work in in other ways. I´ve also got myself good work equipment that that help me to work.
- I´ve learned to get organized at work. Based on what kind of work I need to do I decide where and when I work (Like whether I work with or without children and at home or elsewhere).
- I´ve learned to set boundaries for my work so that I can keep my calendar in balance better. I´ve turned down some job offers and learned to live on less so that I´ve been able to work for my business idea. I´ve also made choices what kind of work I do by myself and what I buy from professionals.
- I´ve learned ways to leave my work behind so that I don´t think about it all the time. I´ve also learned to take better care of my body when my work is making it ache.
- I´ve learned to acknowledge and enjoy the positive aspects of my work better. And searched ways to seek inspiration for my work and how to increase my creativity.
After: What kind of positive effects I´ve noticed now that I´ve been able to get closer to Living Simply.
- My attitude towards work has improved: Ability to affect my work combined with better working conditions mean more motivation for working.
- My skills to handle heavy workload have improved: The better skills you have to recover from your work, the more stress and pressure your body and mind tolerate. At work and at home.
- I´m more efficient: Lions rest and relax a lot so that they are ready to act fast when needed to go. The same goes for people.
- I´m more creative: More positive thoughts about work, more creativity at work.
- My self-confidence has improved: Setting boundaries don´t make you a difficult or unpopular worker. The ability to defend yourself is a sign of responsibility and motivation. All good employers are ready to negotiate about your working conditions and amount of work when you can give good arguments to them. The better you´re able to set the boundaries in your life, the better you feel with yourself, and at your work!
Next time you can read how I´ve learned to multitask as a mom.
Click to read the On the way to Simple Living: Intro.
Read all posts from my post series called On the way to Simple Living.