Before: How I used to live?
- I used to work at home in the same way as I used to work before becoming a mother.
- I used to feel guilty for working at home when the children were awake.
- I used to feel that it´s impossible to combine work and motherhood in a good way and be well at the same time.
Changes: What changes I´ve made to my life since I started to pay more attention to my wellbeing and simplify my life?
- I´ve learned that the key is to be present and give closeness to children. When you satisfy your children´s needs first, they often play by themselves leaving room for you to work.
- I´ve explained to our children that there is time when I’m with them totally and there´s a time when I need to work and that working is a natural part of life.
- I´ve learned that I don´t need to give my full attention to my children all the time. Also children need time to rest and change to develop their imagination and skills on their own. It´s good practice. Later in their lives there are many occasions when they need to be alone.
- I´ve learned to organize my work in a new way: with children I only work with things that don’t need much concentration.
- I´ve learned to be more merciful towards myself: Finding the level of good enough in both work and motherhood have helped me a lot to combine these two.
After: What kind of positive effects I´ve noticed now that I´ve been able to get closer to Living Simply.
- I enjoy work and motherhood: Mindfulness has been the most important thing in both. When I´ve learned to be totally present with the children, I´ve also been able to concentrate on my work better.
- I feel less guilty for working: When I know that my children get enough of my time, I don´t need to feel guilty even thought I would work while they play next to me.
- My children don’t criticize me so much for my working anymore: The better the children have understood what kind of a work their mom is doing, the better they´ve learned to cope with it.
- My efficiency has improved: The better I’ve become in organizing my work, the more efficient I am.
- I’m more satisfied with myself: Learning to set the bar lower with secondary things has helped me to get more time and energy for the most important things. And I enjoy more of them too.
Next time you can read about my ways to save money.
Click to read the On the way to Simple Living: Intro.
Read all posts from my post series called On the way to Simple Living.