It is so true that the best recipes are born almost by an accident. Like this simple Christmas apple dessert recipe; there were some apples and marzipan left and Christmas gingerbread dough in the freezer – and voilà – Stiina combined the ingredients into this delicious dessert full of Finnish Christmas flavors!
Recipe for simple filled Christmas apples
- 4 apples
- Mulled wine/ black currant juice (glögi)
- 40 g marzipan
- 40 g gingerbread dough
You can use many different kinds of gingerbread dough. To get Christmas flavors, we recommend Christmas gingerbread dough. At least in Finland, you can buy it ready from the grocery.
If you want to make your own dough, here’s our recipe for Christmas gingerbread cookies.
How to make this simple Christmas apple dessert:
- Wash the apples and place them in a suitable saucepan.
- Pour mulled wine/juice on top of apples until they are covered. Simmer them about 10 minutes.
- Make small holes in apples and place 10 g of marzipan and 10 g of ready-made gingerbread dough in each hole.
- Bake the filled apples in the oven at 200 degrees for about 15 or until softened.
- Serve the apples with vanilla sauce or ice cream. Nam! Yum!
If you are like all things made out of apples, here’s our recipe for a warm apple drink (that is also simple to make).
Delicious Christmas 2021!
With love from Saimaa,
Mari, Stiina and Marianne