Christmas gingerbread cookies are delicious. The smell of gingerbread is a smell of Christmas. Actually, I bake gingerbread cookies every Christmas because of that lovely smell. And Christmas songs. Yes! They and baking gingerbread cookies belong definitely together!
I like to eat gingerbreads but most of all I like gingerbread dough. One year I made only dough and not gingerbread cookies at all. I just let the dough be in a refrigerator and ate it little by little. Maybe some year we`ll do that again – so eagerly was Unna eating the dough this year 😉
There are different kind of Christmas gingerbread cookies. This recipe I got from my mom and it’s my favorite.
Christmas gingerbread cookies recipe
(In Finnish this recipe is called “Paraisten piparkakut”)
1,5 dl syrup
3 dl sugar
250 g butter
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger (powdered)
2 tsp clove (powdered)
1 tbsp powdered bitter orange peel
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking soda
7,5 dl wheat flour
- Add syrup, sugar, butter, cinnamon, ginger, clove and powdered bitter orange peel to a kettle.
- Heat up the kettle. Stir as long as the ingredients have mixed with each other and the mixture has reached a boiling point (Note! Stop when the mixture starts actually to boil).
- Let the mixture cool down.
- Whip the mixture for a while.
- Add the eggs one at a time and whip in between.
- Mix salt, baking soda and wheat flour with each other. Add them little by little while whipping the dough.
- Cover the dough and put it to a refrigerator. Let it stay there overnight.
- Roll the dough. Use wheat flour to prevent it sticking. Make gingerbread cookies with cookie molds.
- Bake in 200 °C about 5 minutes.