It is studied that nature is good for our health and happiness. It is also studied that nature helps us to feel more connected with ourselves. And when we feel more connected, we feel better. Summer is a great season to find this double connection. Here are 10 simple ways to connect with nature and yourself. These are the ones that I am going to carry out too this summer, many many times!
1. Watch the sunset in peace – I recommend being near the water.
2. Pack lunch and blanket, buy your favorite delicacies and fresh berries. Maybe a bottle of wine and swimsuit too? Go and have an outdoor picnic!
3. Go for a mindful forest walk. Slow down, breathe, and focus on the details in nature. If possible, go even to lie on the ground. See the world from a new perspective.
4. Did you play in nature when you were a kid? What all things you did then outdoors? Go and do some of the same things! Make small moments meaningful – just like you did when you were a child.
5. Do your morning routines outside. Wash your face in natural waters, or take water outside on the balcony to do that. Feel the air and the presence of the outdoors.
6. Go out in the sun. Just be and really feel the warmth of the sun on your skin. (Don’t forget the sunscreen though). While doing that reflect in your mind what dreams you have. What dream of yours you could make come true this summer?
7. Sleep night outside and wake up before sunrise. I promise it’s worth it!
8. Pick berries from the forest or go to the Farmer’s market to buy fresh, new season veggies. Make a pie and invite a friend to visit you.
Here’s a recipe for simple rhubarb pie. We’re gonna make it this weekend. Yummy! Instead of rhubarb, you can also use for example berries here.
9. Discover new landscapes and nature surroundings. Take a photo of you there as a memory.
10. Like trees and waters, also we are a part of nature. Spend time and get connected with your loved ones. Don’t forget our furry friends either. Arrange a time to be with them too without any hurry or pressure.
PS. In summer there are many sunny and warm days. However, some days are cloudy, rainy, or even stormy too. Don’t let the not-so-sunny-and-warm weather stop you from getting connected with nature. You can experience great moments and get great thoughts about yourself and life also when listening to the rain or wind.
PPS. Write a list also of your own ways to connect with nature (and yourself). What more important – make them happen. Also, afterward reflect on how they made you feel.
Hyvää kesää! Have a nice summer!
With love from Saimaa,
Marianne (& Mari)
If you wanna read more about the summer weather (and rhubarb pie) click on this saimaaLife archive story called “Good Summer, despite the Weather”.